Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Whoopie Pies


I'll be honest, I originally decided to make these little treats just because I loved the name, but they are also quite delicious! I was introduced to the idea of these sandwich cookies when reading about the book Whoopie Pies : Dozens of Mix 'em, Match 'em, Eat 'em Up Recipes.  I decided to make my own for one of the weekly barbecues at the lab, and they were a hit.  The best part is the flavor possibilites are endless, I'm thinking I will try a red velvet next. Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

Cookies:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs

Frosting (via bakedbree): (This makes a lot of frosting, a half batch would do but I like to have the extra around for snacking...)
1 cup room temperature butter
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup marshmallow creme
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons milk

Mix the cookie ingredients together and dollop (error on the side of too small, they'll spread a fair amount) onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes or until they spring back when touched.

Beat together the frosting ingredients, adding the milk last so you can control the consistency.

Once the cookies have cooled spread a generous portion of frosting on the flat side of one cookie and then sandwich with another cookie.  Voila! You have a whoopie pie!

1 comment: